In the North East Caribbean Leeward Islands, lies the petite French Island of Saint-Barthélemy or St Barths. Discovered by Columbus in 1493 and later occupied by the French over 360 years ago, it was bought by the Swedes in 1785 and France purchased back the Island almost 100 years later in 1878.
St Barts has over 20 beautiful beaches on the Island of 8 miles². The location is a marine reserve and is very popular for snorkelling and diving. The Island is French speaking, though English is widely spoken.
St Barths is quite exclusive with no major Hotels and a tiny Airport. It is very appealing to the Rich and Famous for its discreetness, excellent restaurants and immaculate beaches. The principal town is named Gustavia named after the former Swedish King.
St Barts is 12 miles South East of Saint Martin, 18 miles from the UK Island of Anguilla and 20 nautical miles from the Dutch Caribbean Island of Saba.