The Ionian Island of Lefkas is a hilly island lying off the Playia Peninsula in Acarnania, from which it is separated by a shallow lagoon varying in width between 600 m and 5 km. It is now linked with the mainland by a causeway and a ferry. Most of the island is occupied by a range of hills rising to a height of 1158 m in Mount Stavrotas and running south-west to end at Cape Dhoukatou. It was from the Leucadian Rock of gleaming white limestone that Sappho threw herself for the love of the handsome Phaon.
Lefkas never had any permanent natural connection with the mainland. The shingle spit at the northern tip was pierced in ancient times by the Corinthians to provide a channel for shipping, much like the spit to the south of Lefkas town, which came into being in the Middle Ages as a result of the establishment of salt-pans. In Lefkas Town the houses have an unusual structure, due to numerous earthquakes throughout the centuries. The supporting timber posts and beams and lightly built upper storeys, are designed to withstand future tremors.
Off the south-east coast of Lefkas is the beautiful unspoiled island of Meganisi, with sandy beaches and renowned sea-caves and therefore an exquisite sailing and yacht charter area. The high town of Spartakhori on the island can easily be reached and their is an enjoyable winding road which is enchanting and definitely worth a visit.